Thursday, May 31, 2012

The difference between knowing and doing.

We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are. 
-Adelle Davis 

Knowing nutrition is far different than living nutrition. I know what's good and what's bad. When I lost weight in college, I used the Prism program (lovingly referred to be fellow church members as "The Prison Program") with my Mom at church. The basis of the program was basically this: God made certain foods for our bodies & our bodies know how to process them. Man made certain foods  and they screw up our body. In this program I learned about omega oils, calories, food branding that made food appear to be "healthy", how to read food labels & that drinking water is paramount to weight loss. Once I became a mother, I put many of these ideas into practice- with my kids. I also researched heavily, choosing a very "natural" route for parenting. Breastfeeding until the wean themselves, making my own baby food, eating well instead of unnecessary doctor visits. Mae had thrush as a baby while I nursed her. Instead of antibiotics, my doctor recommended acidophilus for her and grape fruit seed extract for me. It worked! My approach to medical care is that God gave us certain plants, herbs, supplements on this Earth and I will use them. This might be TMI, but the last time I had a yeast infection, I cured myself with stuff in my fridge. Plain yogurt, garlic and Vitamin C. Cameron lovingly referred to me as a "Buffet healer".
I literally want to be Chris Traeger.

I have recommended numerous natural remedies to family and friends, I've also referred our doctor to several friends. This is a part of my "weight loss journey" that I've pondered quite a bit. Since I so heavily rely on natural remedies for myself and family, why would I not rely on good food for myself to have a whole body? Simple: it's easy to have the knowledge, hard to put it to practice.

I think it falls into two categories.

The first is well summed up in Matthew 7:5:
You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye.
I am good at seeing what everyone else needs to do to fix something. Call it big sister syndrome. Call it for what it is: sin nature. I will solve your problems while overlooking my own!

The second is, I like to share knowledge. I have a head full of it (pun intended) and I want you to know about it! Good music- I have a band you should listen to. History? Yeah, let me sum that up for you in relation to current events. I tend to be a know-it-all. I've toned it down a bit in the past few years. I think that's something that growing older does, you realize how much you don't know.

Now that I'm being held accountable for weight loss, I want to put into practice what I know. That way my knowledge holds authority and truth. It's not just me ranting like a crazy hippie.

***
I want to thank everyone for their kind words and encouragement from my last blog post. It's really been swell seeing the response. I'll keep everyone up to date on what I'm doing. So far I really like the balance of this program and the emphasis on healthy living. Not only do you track "points", you track your vitamin, oil, water, fruit/veggie and dairy intake. You also keep track of your activity during the day. I'm not hungry or grouchy. I'm content.

0 comments:

Post a Comment