Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ferb, I know what we're going to have for lunch today!

  Inspired by this amazing website: Bentos For Kids, I had to make my kids a Phineas and Ferb style lunch yesterday. Obviously I'm not quite as Martha as the mom who came up with the idea, but I did my best. I couldn't run out for certain ingredients, but I thought my improvising worked well.
  If you don't know who Phineas & Ferb are, it's a Disney Channel cartoon that is awesome. I watch it with the kids. I probably love it as much as they do. It's about two step-brothers who create amazing summertime activities in their backyard. They don't want to waste any minute of summer. Their sister, Candace always tries to get them in trouble for it but never manages to get Mom there on time. The boy's pet platypus, Perry is a secret agent when not acting as a normal platypus pet. He fights the evil scientist, Heinz Doofenschmirtz. The "Doof" as I like to call him, is not terribly competent. He's also terribly insecure & jealous of his successful brother, Rodger. If that sounds crazy, you should just watch the show. It's hysterical. Dan Povenmire, one of the creators & writers was a writer for The Simpsons which comes across in the humor and timing of the show. I could literally go on and on about this show. It's nice to be able to find a quality kid's show that Cameron and I enjoy with the kids. Did I mention they have fantastic musical numbers?



  Back to the bento lunches. A bento box is a Japanese-style packed lunch usually consisting of rice, veggies and sashimi. Obviously mine was only inspired by the bento lunch box, but the kids loved it anyway. I followed the patterns by eye from Disney Family, using tortillas instead of bread. I figured they would be easier to cut. Instead of egg whites and olives for eyes, I opted for banana slices and fruit leather. I used whole wheat tortillas, organic raw honey & organic peanut butter.
Phineas & Ferb tortillas sandwiches.The bananas were cut to resemble the tree they sit under.
  Josiah of course had P&F sandwiches, I worked my rear off to make them. I'm not that great at artistic endeavors  especially if it involves food. I was surprised at how well these came out.

She's Candace! She's got a boatload of ship launching qualities!
Candace was a bit tougher. I didn't have a pattern to eyeball from Disney's website. I just had to go by the image on the bento page. She is a little rounder, but you can still tell it's Candace. Mae loved her! Here's a pic of her:
Target's dollar spot (which I don't typically stop at anymore) had tons of Phineas and Ferb merch right before we left for vacation. I try every year to get them a couple of things specifically for the drive to Lone Pine and Bishop. This year they got caddies full of Phineas and Ferb gear. Including cups. I decided those would be perfect with lunch along with applesauce in my very awesome Ikea bowls. Here's the complete  meal:


I spread a blanket on the floor for the kids and they watched one of their favorite episodes of Phineas and Ferb, where they go to the museum and search for a mummy. 
Please ignore the spilled popcorn in this picture. 
All in all I would call this a successful little lunch. Maybe next time I'll have to make Doof, Bufford the Bully & Perry the Platypus. 
Let me know if you try it out. 
P.S. Phineas and Ferb is available on Netflix watch instantly if you don't have cable. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment