Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My friend Molly, who I have known since Medieval times sent me an article about a book that was written by Peggy Orenstein. It's called Cinderella Ate My Daughter. Molly was curious about my reaction since I have a "Little Princess" at home.
I thought it would make for a good blog.
Here's the article:
Cinderella Ate My Daughter

Here's my response:


Molly,
First off, how are you? Freezing I'm sure. :)
I had heard about this book before and wasn't quite sure what to think of it. While I'm no fan of girls being over-sexualized or steered towards tween-stars who eventually end up on Youtube doing bong hits, I can say that we do love girly stuff in this house. I can also say that Cameron and I are the bosses of our kids, not TV or culture.
Mae has her fair share of Princesses (Disney and others), but on the other hand she does battle with her brother, dresses up as a dinosaur & plays in the mud. Regardless of the Disney "Machine", it's up to parents to guide and direct their daughters. Princesses are fun, Jesus is real.
My Mom taught me to always balance things with your kids. While I like my daughter being girly (I was a girly girl until I hit Jr. High and rebelled and started dressing like Jeff The Girl from Five Iron Frenzy, as you well remember. Sorry about that.), I don't let that dominate her life. She is not allowed to act like a "Princess" or "Diva".
Disney Princesses are just like anything else, they can become an overwhelming part of a life that should be overwhelmed by God. Even for a child.
It falls into that category of 1 Corinthians 10:23:
' "All things are lawful," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful", but not all things build up.'
If this "thing" is going to be a block between you and Jesus, stay away. But if it's not and it's fun and your'e being careful to balance it out with the real world, it's not a bad thing.
That's my best "reaction". Forgive any blunders in spelling or grammar, I'm on medication for nerve damage/nerve disorder. It makes me loopy. Not fun, but I wanted to get back to you. Interesting article.
What's your reaction?? :)
Hope you're doing well.
Love ya!
Leigh



What's your call fellow Mommies or even those of you who need a little bippity boppity boo in your life?


P.S. If you're curious about who Jeff The Girl is and how she dressed, here's a picture:


Jeff The Girl is the saxaphone player in FIF. I owned many cutoffs, baseball shirts & converse. Don't judge me. I looked good and loved Ska. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment