Monday, April 18, 2011

Bladder-y stuff.

So, I finally have a title to give one of my "ailments": Interstitial Cystitis.  Here's a description from a great website, IChelp.com:

Interstitial cystitis (in-ter-stish-uhl sĭ-stī'tĭs), or as we call it, IC, is a bladder condition that usually consists of multiple symptoms. Most IC patients have recurring pelvic pain, pressure, or discomfort in the bladder and pelvic region, and urinary frequency (needing to go often) and urgency (feeling a strong need to go).
IC may also be referred to as painful bladder syndrome (PBS), bladder pain syndrome (BPS), and chronic pelvic pain. Read more about these different names for IC.

The pain and bladder issues help explain why I thought I had something wrong with my kidneys. It feels just like a bladder infection, but worse. The other neurological pain I'm experiencing started in my left side right where my kidney is. Trust me, it didn't start off feeling neurological. It felt internal and that coupled with the bladder issues had me convinced I had kidney problems. I do have a stone in my left kidney and I've passed grit, but that's not what was causing me the pain I'm experiencing. I wish that the first two urologist I saw would have been far more aware or caring (whatever their problems were) and could have diagnosed this months ago! I would have saved tons of money! 


 I went to a urologist, Dr. Hyman a few weeks ago and he scheduled me for a urodynamic test and a cystoscopy. Let me tell you this: I've had two children. I have no shame when it comes to the medical world. This test was the worst thing I've ever experienced in the medical realm. It made me cry and it was tough to get through. I won't go into details, but it's a very "brutal" test on a very delicate area while you are "spread open" to the whole world. Not fun. 


The good news is it's not a bad case of IC. I've been able to control it with diet and supplements. I did my online research and found two basic supplements that can help: Quercetin with Bromelain & Colostrum. Quercetin is an enzyme derived from pineapple. It helps with inflammation and has antioxidant properties. The colostrum helps to rebuild the lining of your bladder so that it grows healthier over time. I'm also drinking lots of Grape Fruit Seed Extract (in juice!) that helps to alkalize your body. 


 Alright, I guess that's enough of an update for now. I feel like a Grandma talking about my "Bladder issues". Trust me, I'm not thrilled at the idea of having this. However, it's not the worse thing that could be wrong with me. For that I am glad. 


P.S. I'm getting an MRI (for my BRAINS!) on Thursday. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment